Kamis, 19 April 2012

THE IMPLEMENTATION OF STICK FIGURES TO TEACH WRITING RECOUNT TEXT TO THE EIGHTH GRADERS

ABSTRACT
Pravitasari, Hikmah Oky. 2009. The Implementation of Stick Figure to Teach Writing Recount Text to the Eighth Grader of SMPN 1 Ngoro Mojokerto. Jurusan Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris. Fakultas Bahasa dan Seni. Universitas Negeri Surabaya. Advisor. Drs. H. Aswandi, M.Pd.

Writing is an important skill in learning English as a foreign language because writing is a way to express our ideas and to communicate in written form. However, writing is considered at the most difficult skill for the students. Besides, many English teachers always present writing activity by asking the students to do an assignment without thinking about how to facilitate them. This is one of reason why most of students are usually confused when they are going to start writing. It seems that they have nothing in their mind about what they are going to write. For this reason, the writer was eager to conduct the research that especially focused on the teaching writing recount texts by using Stick Figure. Using stick figure is more vivid than words and much easier to recal. Related to the matter, the writer is interested in studying the use of stick figures for teaching writing at Junior High School. Hence, the research questions were formulated as: (1). How is the implementation of stick figures in teaching writing recount texts? And (2). How are the students’ responses towards the implementation of stick figures in teaching writing?
The writer used descriptive qualitative research in doing her study. The writer would describe and analyze the existing phenomena during the teaching learning process. The subject of this study is students of VIII-A SMP Negeri 1 Ngoro Mojokerto. Moreover, there were four kinds of instruments used in this study, they were observation checklist, field note, questionnaire and students’ writing. The research was conducted in three meeting. In every meeting the teacher gave an assignment. The different topics given in every meeting, they were about daily activities, Sunday in the beach, and family activities.
 From the result of the study, the implementation of Stick figures helps the students in writing recount text and make students easily to identify the generic structure and language feature of recount text. It can be proved from the students’ writing progress in the term of each component. Furthermore, the students really enjoyed to write a recount text by using stick figure, besides the chart of stick figures with their relevant keywords as a model makes the vocabulary in recount text more familiar and the students are more actively to ask and answer question related to the implementation of stick figures .It showed that mostly of the students were agree that the implementation of stick figures was really helpful in getting the ideas to write recount text. Here, the writer suggest some ways for the teacher of using stick figures as one alternative in teaching writing especially for the teacher who have large classes. The most important one is teacher always keeps observing the students’ progress on every step on learning.
Key words: Stick Figures, recount writing


          
MOTTO

GOOD IS THE BIGGEST ENEMY FOR GREAT AND GOOD IS NOT ENOUGH

Everything because of Allah SWT
From Allah SWT to Allah SWT
-         Hiory -


"The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart."

-Helen Keller-















DEDICATION
I dedicate this thesis to:
My beloved Guardian Angels, Father and mother. Thank you for your restless pray all over the night. It is an honor for having such a firm father and an indulgent mother like you. I will never stop praying for you to the Only Almighty God, Allah SWT, to replay all your abundant love, prays, and support.

For Mama
It’s such a hard day having me as your daughter, Thanks for all, the words thanks is not enough for you, I must thanks one thousand times…two thousand times…even million times. It’s too many things to be mentioned to thanks to. I Love you mom

For Papa
It’s your daughter; I’m this moment now finally, but I have to continue the next struggle. I hope I can do what you always want me to be. I Love you Pa

For My Sisters Dini and Ikhsmi, Thanks for always supporting me, accompanying me, thanks for everything. Sorry I always bother u, but we’re still good sibling, aren’t we!

I love you all. You are my greatest inspiration in my life. You make my life more colorful, wonderful and beautiful.



The Writer
HIORY


ACKNOWLEDGMENTS



BISMILLAHIRROHMAANIRROHIIM



I would like to say Alhamdulillah and praise to Allah SWT, the most merciful who has given me strength to finish this thesis entitle THE IMPLEMENTATION OF STICK FIGURES TO TEACH WRITING RECOUNT TEXT TO THE EIGHTH GRADERS OF SMPN 1 NGORO MOJOKERTO. I would like to express my deepest appreciation and gratitude to Drs. H. Aswandi M.Pd, my beloved advisor who helped and guided me attentively and patiently, thank you for always giving me so much advices, guidance, suggestion, and supports. My earnest gratitude also goes to Dra. Hj. Syukriah Abdullah and Dr. Oikurema Purwati, M. Appl., as the examiners, who have provided me in valuable suggestion and correction for the accomplishment of this thesis. Besides, My appreciation and thanks are addressed to my Co-Reader Mrs. Dian Rivia S.Pd, M.Pd for giving much advice to correct the grammar.

I also wish to deliver my deepest love and thank to

1.      Prof. Dr. Setya Yuwana, S.,M.A. as the dean of art and language faculty.

2.      Dr. Oikurema Purwati, M.Appl as the chief of English Department of Surabaya State University.

3.      All lectures and staff at the English Department of Surabaya State University, who have given to me the benefit of their experience as a source of knowledge in all aspect of his work. 

4.      Mr. Yusuf Wijanarko S.Pd, the teacher of SMPN 1 Lumajang who really helps me in doing this study and also gave me so many books and sources.

5.      Drs. Amin Suudi M.Pd.,M.M. as the headmaster of SMPN 1 Ngoro Mojokerto

6.      Mrs. Riati S.Pd as the English Teacher of SMAN 1 Babat Lamongan.

7.      All of my friends in English Department at batch 2005.

8.      All of my best friends Eny, Mimin, Yunyta, Vea, zie, Yanti, Rina, Re, Paul, Nara, Chie, Andra’, Ratieh, Ochie, Widia, Tifa. You are my greatest Inspiration of my life. Sen Ching Ping and Wira-Wiri.

9.      The dweller of Arum Ndalu Especially for my sister and my roommate Dini and Choing, you are my folks and sisters. We are the great family of room 10. Dwi, Erly, Menik, Titin, Indah, Umi thanks for your kindness.

10.  The Nobar, Rpin, Miruu, Dwi, Tachi, andik, Rahma, Fuad, Fajar.   I’ll never forget the moment when we watched Movie together. I hope we can watch it again even in the future. You are such wonderful friends.

11.  Meilin Thanks for your great spiri.



The writer realizes that there are still a lot of mistakes and weaknesses in this thesis. Therefore, critics and suggestions are needed in order to make better improvement for this study.

         At last, there is a big hope that is piece of writing could be useful for all readers. Amiiin.                       



Surabaya, June 24, 2009



The Writer





1 komentar:

  1. kak, punya boidatanya pak Aswandi? Kalau iya bole saya minta untuk tugas Aplikasi Komputer

    BalasHapus